Monday, May 21, 2012

Footprints

I don't want to write too much, because it is not my story to share, but a close relative has been in and out of the hospital with her baby since he was born in february. He just had his second open heart surgery this morning.

When our babies cry for 24 hours straight, or refuse to sleep, or throw up in our mouths when we are kissing them, or poop all over those nice white pants, or throw cereal on the floor and then purposely hit us in the face with her toy phone ( ahem...that would be my baby) just feel lucky.  Babies are supposed to do those things. Mommies are supposed to be exhausted from night time feedings, and colicky babies, not from being in the hospital because their baby is in surgery.

We need to say a million prayers for the mothers who have gone to hell and back for their babies, big and small. I've been sitting here with a knot in my stomach all day. I can't imagine how she feels and I am not going to pretend to. Did I cry when Georgia was a newborn? Yes. But I was crying for myself because it was hard. It seems so stupid now. I guess that is what I want to say. Like, what was the big deal? My baby was being a baby and doing normal baby things. I almost feel guilty.

The mother and the baby I am thinking about were meant to be together. She is his mother because she is strong, and someone knew he was going to need her from the minute he was born. They are very lucky to have each other,  and their story is just beginning. There isn't much for me to do except offer my prayers,  and admire her strength. This is what parenting is about.  Being selfless. She hasn't complained once. She is a great role model for us all.

2 comments:

  1. Teresa, thank you for writing this. My heart hurts for your relative and her little boy, I cannot even imagine what she is going through. I don't know if I would be strong enough to deal with it. We love our babies more than our own lives. My prayers are with them.

    You really put things in perspective for me today. I wish I could hang up your blog post on my fridge, so that I could read it at times when i feel like I can't handle another minute of screaming from her poor little teeth hurting her or because she won't go to sleep. You are right. That's what babies do, and what we have to do is just what mommies have to do :) I feel guilty too. So many times I have stopped and said to myself "we are so lucky" but I guess human nature causes us to become selfish sometimes. I feel so grateful and just hugged Olivia so hard and didn't want to let her go.

    I will pray for your relative and her little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this, it was like the vitamin I needed to take. My thoughts will be with this super hero mother and her trouper son. I hope that all went as well as expected.

    ReplyDelete