Wednesday, May 14, 2014


 As I like to say, thanks to facebook, pinterest, twitter, whatever else is out there, the new parents of today are charged with hyper focusing on making our kids lives magical. Crafts, DIY, themed birthday parties, only clothes from etsy, start them in classes at 2 years old...the list of "good mom requirements in 2014"  goes on and on and on. It is exhausting, and also really fucking stupid that I feel like a bad mom because I did not put my daughter in her St Patrick's Day pajamas ( since when is it a real kids holiday, anyway?)

The straw that broke the camel's back (me being the camel)was Georgia's 3rd birthday party which was going to consist of 20 kids, arrival of disney characters, tatoos, face painting....you catch my drift?

It was going to be really awesome to put on facebook through instagrammed pictures! Look at what a great mom I am!! My kid has characters at her party! I was getting so caught up in everything that I just forgot who I was. And who I am not is a competitive asshole parent, so I gave myself a quick kick in the face and cancelled everything.

Georgia had a small party at my parent's house.

I'm sure she thought it was magical. Or really, who knows what she thought? I have no memories of until I was around 4 or 5 years old, so I don't even imagine that she will remember the party, magic or no magic.

But that isn't the point now, is it? I wasn't doing the party for my daughter, I was doing it for myself. Remind me to never throw a birthday party for Georgia for myself again. If she asks me for a big whoop-dee-doo, sure I will help her with it. But  this birthday party was not coming from a good place in my soul. It was competitive, it was forced, and I was teaching my child that events had to be grand in order for them to be great.

Magic comes in all shapes and sizes, and places, and colors and people. It can't be created through pajamas, or cakes, or decorations. In order for something to be truly magical, it needs to come from an organic space that created itself.

If my kid gets used to a big "to-do" for every holiday, for every day of life, the real magic of the world will never astound  her because she will be to busy waiting for someone ( parent, friend, boyfriend) to create it. It will become expected. It will become boring. She will become boring. I don't want her to be a person who waits for magic to be made by other people. I want her to experience it organically and to find it herself.

On Mother's Day, my sister Jill and Mason slept over. My husband made us breakfast and bought us flowers and a card. It was nice.

We decided to take a walk. We put the kids in the strollers, packed some snacks, and headed to the Art Museum.

Side note: the Komen Race for the Cure took place that day. The elitist dickfaces in my neighborhood are complaining this week because the helicopters woke them up too early on Mother's Day. Can you even imagine???? Anyway...

We discovered the "sculpture garden wall fountain" which I had never seen before. Two fountains covering the walls of a concrete lookout to the river. No one was there. It was super quiet and lovely and we decided to sit on the blanket and have our snacks. Georgia asked if she could take off her shoes and put her feet in the water along the wall. Mason wanted to do the same.

Soon Georgia's dress was soaked so I just took her dress off. Jill took Mason's shorts and shirt off and all of a sudden it was like they were FREEEEEE.

They ran back and forth between the two fountain walls over and over again in their undies, screaming their faces off with happiness. Sometimes they held hands, sometimes they grabbed each other and hugged, sometimes they ran alone. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. For over a half hour!

Everyone who walked by laughed and yelled, "That looks like so much fun!" It was fun to watch. Georgia and Mason in action together! It was weird too, I felt like I was floating on a cloud of happiness.  Two kids overjoyed with life thanks to nothing but sunshine and water.

This is what being a kid is about. This is what we loved about being kids. They might forget the memories but they won't forget the feelings of experiencing,  living, creating,and laughing.

So much better than waiting for me to do something awesome. Sitting on the blanket and taking a step back was the most awesome thing I did that day!  I am done with themed pajamas.

No comments:

Post a Comment